Amazon is the largest online retailer in the world generating $386.06 billion in revenue in 2020, of which $104.41 billion was generated through international revenue channels. Its 2020 revenue figure propelled Amazon to the top of the business leaderboard, as the third-largest company in the world by revenue. Prior to that, in 2019, the eCommerce company’s net revenue was $280.5 billion, up from $232.8 billion in 2018. Around 50% of all sales on Amazon marketplaces come from third-party sellers. Read on for more Amazon statistics.
Amazon has 9.7 million sellers worldwide, of which 1.9 million are actively selling on the marketplace. In 2020, third-party seller services were responsible for $80.5 billion in sales. In addition, sales for independent businesses selling on Amazon grew over 50% compared to 2019. Each year, more than a million new sellers join Amazon. In the first quarter of 2021 alone, over 283,000 sellers signed up to sell on the marketplace.
The US, UK and Germany are the Amazon marketplaces that have the greatest number of top sellers. A closer look at the number of marketplaces sellers in each of these top markets shows that the US, while still the strongest third-party seller market, has fallen by 15% from 2020 to 2021. On the other hand, the third-party seller markets in the UK and Germany — coming in on top just after the US — have both risen by 24% from 2020 to 2021.
After launching in Sweden, Poland and the Netherlands in 2021, Amazon now operates 20 marketplaces worldwide – US, Canada, Mexico, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Japan, Singapore, Turkey, Brazil, Australia, India, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Netherlands, Sweden, Poland, and limited operations in China.
The majority of the biggest sellers joined Amazon years ago and despite increasing competition and the rapid adoption of private labels, are still at the top. Let’s take a look at more interesting Amazon statistics provided by Marketplace Pulse.
Amazon marketplace statistics
- Amazon currently has 20 marketplaces: USA, Canada, Mexico, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Japan, Singapore, Turkey, Brazil, Australia, India, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Netherlands, Sweden, Poland, and China.
- In 2020, Amazon generated approximately 80.5 billion dollars in third-party seller services, an increase of nearly 50% over the previous year.
- There are over 6 million marketplace sellers  across all Amazon marketplaces. More than half of these sell on Amazon in North America (US, Canada, Mexico).
- Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Sweden, The Netherlands, and Poland make up Amazon’s European marketplace, which represents 24% of all sellers.
- India is Amazon’s fastest growing marketplace and became its third-largest marketplace (after North America and Europe) last year. In a few years, it is expected to overtake Europe.
- Japan’s share of the Amazon marketplace is around 11%.
- The Middle East, Australia and Brazil marketplaces each have only around 1% of share.
- 84% of the top Amazon marketplace sellers use FBA (how FBA works)
- Fulfilment by Amazon shipped billions of items worldwide.
- Amazon Lending surpassed $3 billion lent to small businesses on Amazon since the program started in 2011.
- There are over 200 million Amazon Prime members worldwide, with 147 million  in the US alone.
Amazon statistics from the US 
- More than 200,000 third-party sellers started selling on Amazon.com in 2020.
- A total of more than 500,000 third-party sellers are based in the US.
- In 2021, sales for independent businesses selling on Amazon grew over 50% from 2019.
- Third-party sellers account for 50% of total sales on Amazon.
- In 2020, Amazon generated roughly $80.5 billion in third-party seller services.
- More than 130,000 third-party sellers surpassed $100,000 in sales.
- US-based third-party sellers sold an average of 11,500 products per minute between Black Friday and Christmas.
- The number of Handmade Makers – artists and entrepreneurs selling through Amazon Handmade – who surpassed $100,000 in sales grew by double digits in 2021, as compared to 2020.
- Top-selling Amazon Handmade categories during the 2021 Holiday shopping season included jewelry, drinkware, and seasonal decorations.
New Amazon sellers
- In 2021, 1,029,528 new sellers joined Amazon globally.
- This means that there are 2,975 new Amazon sellers per day.
- In 2021, 400,703 new sellers joined Amazon.com.
- 112,623 new sellers joined Amazon.in
- 80,046 new sellers joined Amazon.co.uk 
- The highest number of new third-party sellers in the US was recorded in April 2020 .
Amazon bestsellers 
- The top 10 categories on Amazon are: Home & Kitchen; Sports & Outdoors; Toys & Games; Beauty & Personal Care; Health, Household & Baby Care; Kitchen & Dining; Office Products; Garden & Outdoor; Tools & Home Improvement; and Pet Supplies.
- Home & Kitchen is a top-selling category on Amazon, with 40% of sellers listing products in this category.
- 21% of sellers have products listed in Sports & Outdoors.
- 19% of sellers have products listed in both Toys & Games and Beauty & Personal Care.
Amazon statistics about feedback 
- In 2021, a mammoth 113,098,076 seller feedback reviews were left on Amazon.
- Of these, around 4% of the seller feedback left was negative.
- An average of 9,644,400 seller feedback reviews are left each month on all Amazon marketplaces.
- An average of 3,967,394 seller feedback reviews each month on Amazon.com
- An average of 1,977,043 seller feedback reviews each month on Amazon.co.uk
- An average of 1,260,433 seller feedback reviews on Amazon.de